DropBox recently enabled 2 step authentication to add an additional layer of security to user accounts. Few days earlier Dropbox posted on its blog that they have received complaints from users about spams in their account.
After doing some analysis Dropbox team found out that it was because of stolen passwords and to tighten the security associated to an account, Dropbox stated that they are taking steps to secure the account even if the password is stolen. 2 Step Authentication is result of those precautionary measures.
2 Step Authentication for DropBox accounts is now available and users can enable it by logging into Dropbox. Before we explain how to enable 2 step authentication for DropBox account , there are few things you should know about this process.
- After you enable 2 Step authentication, every time you log into Dropbox you will need to enter your DropBox password and a 6 digit security pin.
- Combination of password and security pin will be required to link/unlink any computer, tablet or phone.
- 6 digit security pin can be sent as a text message to your phone or can be generated by using apps that support Time Based One Time Password (TOTP).
- Apps that support TOTP are Google Authenticator(Android,iOS,Blackberry) , Amazon AMS MFA(Android) and Authenticator ( Windows 7)
- A 16 digit backup code will also be given to you which can be used to log into DropBox incase you happen to lose your phone. You need to make a note of that code and make sure to store it someplace other than your phone.
Related Article: Enable 2 Step Authentication for Gmail
Now that you have understood major points related to 2 Step Authentication for DropBox , below are the steps to enable it for your account.
Step1 : Log into Dropbox and click on your Name
Step2 : Choose Settings and then Go to Security tab
Step 3: Under Account Sign in Section, you can Enable 2 Step Verification.
During the process of enabling 2 step verification, you will be asked to enter the details of mobile number on which you want to receive security code. For verification purposes, a security code will be sent to your mobile phone which you would need to enter in the setup process to validate that mobile number belongs to you.
After you have finished the setup, go ahead and download the latest version of Dropbox on all your devices. You would also want to unlink your devices and then link those again using new 2 step verification process.