Bought a Kindle and now wonder why you can’t read it in the dark? I don’t blame you — Most of us do not read or understand the all the aspects of a product before buying. Don’t we buy it on the impulse most of the time?
Here’s why you can’t read Kindle in the dark – Kindle readers have E Ink screen and are not backlight. Let’s first understand what is E-Ink and what are the advantages of using E-Ink.
E-Ink technology has been developed by E Ink Corp., an electronic paper display company born out of the MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, MA.
Advantages of E-Ink over Backlight
1. Eye Strain: It is well known that spending long hours in front of the computer causes eye strains and makes you tired. Kindle doesn’t produce the glare that a computer or tablet screen does (because of E Ink technology). It is essentially the same as reading the pages of a newspaper or a book instead of a backlight electronic device.
2. Backlight: Backlight reduces the battery life. If you’re amazed at why the Kindle can run off a single charge for up to 2 months — it is because of E-Ink technology. Compare that with the battery life of smartphones, tablets, and computers.
3. Glare: Backlit LCD screens are difficult to read in sunlight because of the glare they produce. Kindle owners enjoy reading from their devices outdoors during daylight hours and a backlight would be a significant impediment to their reading enjoyment.
How to read Kindle in the dark
So, what are your options for reading Kindle in the dark? There are a few accessories provided by Amazon itself, which can make possible to read Kindle in the dark. Here’s a look at three of the top products in the category:
1. Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover
Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover is a perfect companion for Kindle. The premium leather exterior looks and feels great, while the soft microfiber interior protects your device from scuffs and scratches. No matter where you take your Kindle, you’ll never be without illumination thanks to the integrated reading light. Built-in LED light to draw its power from Kindle, so no batteries are required.
A permanent part of the cover, the reading light is located just above your Kindle and is optimally positioned to provide an even light across the screen. When needed, simply flip the light out and it automatically illuminates, eliminating the need for a separate power switch. To turn the light off, just snap it back into place or close the cover.
Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather cover is available in several colors in Amazon.
2. Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light
Mighty Bright teamed up with Amazonto offer this item in Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging, a recyclable, easy-to-open alternative to traditional packaging. The Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Light is a battery operated clamp-on accessory that is custom designed to illuminate your Kindle Wireless Reading device.
Two Super LED lights in one head gives you the lighting power of 6 normal LEDs. You have the option of using one or two of the Super LED lights with just a simple tap of the proprietary sensor switch. The flexible neck allows you to position your lighting anywhere you want it. With the XtraFlex2, you can take your Kindle anywhere–in bed, on the bus or train, and have proper illumination at your fingertips.
Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 is available in several colors in Amazon.
3. Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle
Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle provides bright, even LED light illuminates the screen uniformly. Flexible neck adjusts to eliminate reflection or glare. Package includes a set of CR2032 batteries pre-loaded in the light and the products ships in certified frustration-free packaging.
Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle is available in several colors in Amazon.
If you like any other Kindle reading lights, lets us know your comments.