A bit of DreamHost History
DreamHost was founded in 1996 by four computer science undergraduates. Since then, they have grown to over 1,500 servers and a full time staff of over 170 employees. DreamHost is is owned by New Dream Network, LLC and are based out of City of Brea, CA. For pictures of DreamHost Office (they definitely have an interesting office), check the bottom of this post.
DreamHost currently offers shared web hosting, VPS or Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers, and Cloud Hosting services to customers. For content creators, entrepreneurs and developers the ideal platform is shared hosting as it offers unlimited disk space and bandwidth under one single plan. If you own a high traffic website, VPS or Dedicated servers provide the needed high performance for the CPU intensive complex applications and databases.
DreamHost – Lesser Known Fact
DreamHost is not a publicly listed company and that is where it makes the difference when it comes to its employees and community. Instead of pursuing a profit driven agenda, they pursue employee welfare and charity. They’ve contributed well over $200,000 to charities all around the world. They also provide free hosting to hundreds of non-profit organizations in the United States. Makes you feels good, doesn’t it!
DreamHost Shared Hosting Options
Shared web hosting is what most people mean when they refer to “web hosting”. It simply means that many customers’ websites reside on a single web server, and that the server’s resources (CPU and RAM) are shared among every customer account on the machine.
Even though it is shared web hosting, you get unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited domains (sites) hosted, unlimited email accounts and access to most programming languages including PHP, MySQL, Ruby on Rails, and much more. Shared web hosting is the go-to solution if you’re new to blogging, web development
Pricing: $8.95 per month. Annual: $107.40
DreamHost – Other Hosting Options
If you’re a seasoned blogger, developer or content creator, you could consider looking beyond shared hosting. Current offers include:
- Virtual Private Servers – There are 5 plans ranging from $15 per month all the way to $200 per month based on the amount of RAM you’ll need. All VPS plans come with unlimited disk space and bandwidth. Unlimited bandwidth and unlimited disk space for a VPS plan is an additional bonus from DreamHost. It is uncommon to find a similar plan!
- Dedicated Servers – They offer 6 dedicated server plans starting from $99 per month all the way to $229 per month depending on bandwidth and disk usage requirements.
- Cloud Storage – For this article, I would exclude Cloud Storage option. I’d strongly recommend contacting DreamHost if you are interested in a cloud solution.
Up Time Guarantee
Up time guarantee from DreamHost is unparalleld. They promise a 100% uptime. No one else promises the same!
Money Back Guarantee
DreamHost has the longest trial period in the industry! You get 100% refund if you cancel anytime before 97 days. After 97 days, you will get a pro-rated refund.
DreamHost is known for its openness and transparency. They address the issues publicly and take care of the matter. Here’s an example:
On January 21st. 2012, a major breach occurred on one of DreamHost’s database servers that resulted in some customers’ FTP and shell access passwords to be reset. Since this was about two years ago and nothing major like this has happened since, I believe Dreamhost has taken it upon themselves to learn from their mistake.
DreamHost SSL Solution
If you run an eCommerce site, SSL adds up to your minimum requirement. DreamHost offers SSL solutions at an additional cost. Best is to contact the customer support and you might get a discounted secured hosting.
DreamHost Customer Service
DreamHost blows the competition in other aspects, but you may feel that it leaves room for desire when it comes to customer support. Additional support comes at a cost while other providers like Hostgator and GoDaddy have a Live Chat option. Current options offered by DreamHost customer support:
- DreamHost Wiki database. This is a frequently updated and vastly extensive online documentation database that typically answers most questions with a quick search. Impressive!
- Busy and active discussion forum. This is one of the busiest forums I’ve seen by any web host with over 32,000+ threads and 174,000+ posts at the time of this review.
- Status blog. This is a fully transparent blog that openly discusses server issues, time of repair, how long the downtime was, and more. Again, most web hosts do not do this and is quite impressive!
- Ticket system for active clients.
- Phone support is provided as an add-on for $9.95 per month for all hosting services. This price includes three callbacks.
- Social networking including Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
My experience has been that the ticket system works quite well and you won’t need the additional phone support for $9.95.
Bottom-Line – DreamHost Review
DreamHost is indeed a great hosting solution – arguably the best. They have a fast and reliable uptime and response times. They and offers the longest money back guarantee I’ve come across at 97 days. I’ve determined them to be trustworthy and reliable. Head over to DreamHost for details.Rating:
DreamHost – Coupons and Discount
DreamHost offers coupons and discount in addition to a low monthly pricing option of $8.95 – click here for details. We may have a $25 or a $50 discount coupon in addition to the offer. However, the discount codes are limited in number. Please contact us if you wish to avail the $25 ot $50 discount.
A Day at DreamHost
A nice YouTube video scripts how a day spans out in DreamHost