There are several reasons why you may need to trace an IP address. It may either be to understand more about starting point of a particular connection or to unearth any illegal connections to your network or your account.
There have been several IP lookup tools available and tracing an IP address back to it’s location is a lot simpler than what many people imagine. There is a tools, which I recently came across while trying to trace an IP address that GMail detected as an illegal activity. The tools has become my favorite since then for the purpose of tracing an IP address. The site is IP2Location.com
How to Trace an IP Address
All you need to do is to grab the IP address and go to http://www.ip2location.com/demo.aspx
Enter the IP address that you want to trace in the dialog box and click on “Find Location”‘.
With just a click of a button you can find the following information for any given IP address:
- Country in which the IP is located
- City to which the IP address belongs to
- Latitude/Longitude of the IP’s location
- Zip Code of the region to which the IP belongs to
- Time Zone associated with the IP
- Name of the ISP to which the IP address belong to
- Internet Speed of the computer associated with the IP
- Weather Station associated with the region of the IP
- Domain name associated with the IP address
Below is a sample output
You can also visually trace route any IP address back to it’s location. For this, just visit http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/ and enter the IP you want to trace in the dialog box and hit the “Proxy Trace” button. Wait for few seconds and the visual trace route tool displays the path Internet packets traverse to reach a specified destination.
Let me know in the comments section below if you know some other great tools as well!